Friday, March 20, 2009

African Crake at Springbrook Farm


Wow, what an amazing species visits our patch.


Springbrook Farm has produced another lifer for me, an African Crake, and only about 400m from my back door!!!


Doug, my hubby kept telling me about this crake that he saw on our drive way, I just presumed that it was a Corn Crake, but when he mentioned how dark the bird was, my antennae suddenly went up and I asked for more information. After scanning all my field guides he said that it was an African Crake.


After lunch I took my camera, and other paraphernalia that I needed, stopped between bump one and two up the drive, called the African Crake a few times................................. this little thing came hot footing it up the road towards me. Just before the road became very busy with bakkies and tractors I managed to get some great photos.


A great LIFER and on my own patch........3010_3005 does it again



Oh yes, and have you atlased a pentad today? I'm doing a five day card, so this African Crake will join the other species on our list that is moving towards to 200 species list.







There are some other great "birds" that live here on our patch......



Four generations of Strachan ladies,



Left to right, Barbara (my mother in law, a beautiful great gran, who went to be with Jesus on 22nd March) Carike (my daughter in law)holding Ashley, Emma (who has a twin brother) and me.

2 comments:

  1. Trish

    Great record!! Congratulations on the lifer!!

    Ernst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, our beautiful Great Gran passed away on 22nd March. She is now at peace with her Jesus. Trish

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Aliwal North

Trip to Aliwal North
Stunning sandstone formations between Elliot and Barkley East

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North
Wow the rock formations on Kramberg are amazing