Saturday, March 7, 2009

Very Busy Bronze Mannikins

During the past week, I visited my parents in Scottburgh, they live in Summerhill Lodge, well I always check out what the birds in Scottburgh are up to!!!!

This is what I observed these little Mannikins doing - according to my parents a fairly large group spend each night in an old Village Weaver's nest. Well the nest must have become a little chilly, there was a mega amount of house repairing going on!!!

One Mannikin was inside the nest whilst a few others were bringing in very long bits of palm 'bark' this piece of palm was quickly taken into the nest and after much shuffling around the long thread of palm bark would disappear into the nest and then the collector of building material would dash out rush across the garden to collect another piece of palm, and DASH back to the nest.

This behaviour continued until I got tired of watching the little chaps, I wonder if anyone else has seen Bronze Mannikin's repairing their shelter? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Aliwal North

Trip to Aliwal North
Stunning sandstone formations between Elliot and Barkley East

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North
Wow the rock formations on Kramberg are amazing