Saturday, March 7, 2009

The calls of 3010_3005


Yesterday I listened and wondered..............

What is the call of Africa?
Some say the Lion - others say the Fish Eagle.
Well, for me on a beautiful Autumn morning at Springbrook Farm
The call of Africa went something like this...................

Hadeda Ibis and lots of them, all very alert at 4.30am, make a mad dash
Up our drive way where they find lots of earthworms wriggling about on the road.

Brubru, Grey Crowned Crane, Wahlberg's Eagle, Red Eyed Dove. Brown Hooded Kingfisher,
During the day the Cape Turtle Dove starts telling the lady who works in my garden to "work harder"
Crested Barbet, African Rail, African Darter, Egyptian Goose, Speckled Mousebird, Yellow Fronted Canary, Cape Grassbird, Little Grebe, African Jacana, Black Crake,

I could go on and on but hey..........................you all know that I have atlased this patch 40 times and have 184 species on my list. Remember this patch is RED - RED

In the evening Barnie (our special Barn owl) comes shrieking into check my duck pen, he has this passion for duckling for dinner!!

I am so blessed that I live in a special part of South Africa, and blessed that I can hear these calls.
Remember to listen to the call of your patch, it may be the Lion's roar, but for me its the call of
3010_3005


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Aliwal North

Trip to Aliwal North
Stunning sandstone formations between Elliot and Barkley East

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North
Wow the rock formations on Kramberg are amazing