Monday, November 19, 2012

Zambia here I come 2nd September 2012




For a while now I’ve yearned to go back to visit 'our' Farm and home in Zambia, Mkuzi farming block would be my destination.  Sharon and I set off on 30th September from Durban international airport, a direct flight to Lusaka where Sharon would hire a car to take us to Mkushi.  Sharon was going on business, I was also going on a different business, one that would bring tears and joy to me.  Just before we went through the ‘border’ at the airport, which happened to be about 20m we both purchased two bottles of water, just to be told we could not take water across the ‘border’.  Can you believe this!!! So we dumped our water, walked through the ‘border’ and had to purchase two more bottles of water, then we found out that we got free water on the plane!!  Our plane was a small 54 seater. 

We had an interesting start to our travels, just as the plane was about to take off the smoke alarm in the toilet went off, what a racket it made, don't ever smoke in an airplane toilet, you will be found out very quickly.  The pilot dropped the nose of the plane and jammed on brakes, we spent the next hour watching a very tall mechanic with a little black box and a screw driver ‘fix’ something in the loo. 

Our trip to Lusaka was about three hours, lovely food was served and there was time to catch up with Sharon and brush up on Birds of Africa, South of the Sahara.  
In Lusaka we were given the tiniest little car, sort of half a car!!!



Our  half car went very well and got us through the Lusaka town where I took my first photo this was of a statue in a traffic circle, a kombi going round the circle had these words written in large red letters on the back window

  


GOD IS ABLE


The rest of this trip is called God is able:  I say this because I had no idea what to expect when I saw ‘our farm and our home’ Leaving Zambia was very traumatic for our family, none of us had been back during the past forty four years. I had no clue who I was staying with, what I was going to experience and how I was going to react!!

Paul and Rea invited me into their home, made me very welcome and took me around helped me re-visit my youth.   My stay in Mkushi was a very precious time, Paul took me to meet the new owners of Bagend (the name of our farm) but locally the farm is known as Kwa Tyson (our surname)!!! Andy and Anne Anderson, the new owners were delighted to meet me, we had drinks in the garden of ‘our home’.  The house is still being lived in, other than a few internal alterations it is the same.  The pool developed a large crack so had to be covered in and the tobacco barns have been taken down for safety reasons, they were falling down.  But the workshop and diesel room are all still standing. 

                                           Some of the photos that I took of  'our house'

The workshop with fuel room on the left

The first house that we lived in was demolished, here the bricks
are carefully stacked. I'd love one of those bricks, just for old time sake

Our home side view from drive way, note the lovely big trees in the garden

Front view of our home

The wall

Bouganvilla that Mum planted way back in the 60ies

View from the house

The garage and drive way









No comments:

Post a Comment

Trip to Aliwal North

Trip to Aliwal North
Stunning sandstone formations between Elliot and Barkley East

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North

Kramberg Mountain Aliwal North
Wow the rock formations on Kramberg are amazing